Thursday, August 24, 2006

I am getting organized.

I figure beginning grad school is as good a time as any to really overhaul my organizational system. Of course, I say "system" as if there is anything systematic about my present system of keeping track of things to do. Mostly it consists of remembering things, and when memory fails, looking it up (usually in an email).

But no longer. Despite my initial frustration about not being able to forward my U of A email to my Gmail account, it ended up being a blessing in disguise. Rather than check two email addresses, I decided to send them both to Outlook. Now I get all my email at once and get notified when new mail arrives.

In addition to using Outlook to get my mail, I've decided to use its "calendar" and "tasks" functions as well. I am determined to get (relatively) organized, and this seems as good a method as any. As far back as I can remember, I start every school year with a new paper calendar, determined to write down everything, every homework due, every midterm, every final, every appointment, and so on. This usually lasts about two weeks (at a maximum).

It is my hope that this will last longer than that. I am fairly optimistic about it, too. Perhaps the fact that it's on the computer will make it easier to remember to write things down when they occur. Who knows. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: