Tuesday, October 31, 2006

super dork

Why, when I no longer attend UTD, do I watch the website to see what courses are being offered in the spring? Why do I get excited and then dismayed to see that there is a graduate social movements course? Excited, because it's probably super cool, and dismayed because I won't be able to take it. Plus--there's a political sociology class being offered (never was when I was there!) as well as a soc of religion class (for real, not one that focuses on religion and immigration).

Why is it especially dorky that I am dismayed about not being able to take these classes? Well, next semester, I am going to be taking a graduate social movements class of my own. And, this semester I'm TAing for an undergrad soc of religion class.

Dude, there are only 2 classes listed for Gender Studies. One, psych of gender, is horrible. The other, Gender Society and Politics, is in the top 3 classes I've ever taken.

What is this "Women, Work, and Family" class? It's listed as soc, I've never heard of it, and it's not listed as gender studies. It's taught by Dr. S, who I had for Gender and Education as well as American Popular Culture. She's not a sociologist. But I'm sure it'll be a great class. I wonder how it's different from the other Dr. S's (a sociologist) Gender and Work class.

Ahh, that idiotic Women in Management class is being offered. That class was so stupid I wanted to cry every Tuesday and Thursday for a whole semester.

Come to think of it, UTD offers a whole lot of classes about gender and work issues. And I've had them all except this Women, Work and Family one. Did they really need another?

All in all, lots of cool classes, graduate and undergrad. I really miss UTD. Despite the wonderfulness of Arizona.

But, I am excited. Next semester I'm going to take an out-of-the-department class, Contemporary Feminist Theories, from the Women's Studies Department. It should be good. Other classes are: stats, methods, social movements.

No comments: