Wednesday, November 01, 2006

we're not in texas anymore

Oh the joys of living in a semi-swing state during an election year. You're like the cool kid and everyone wants to be your friend. All the popular people are coming and telling you how fun and important you are and how much they just love you.

What popular people? Well, tomorrow evening I'm going to go hear President Clinton speak on behalf of Arizona congressional candidates.

Last week I met John Edwards. A few weeks ago, I could have met Nancy Pelosi. But I wanted to sleep in. How cool is it that I live in a place where I can choose to sleep in rather than meet Nancy Pelosi? If I were in Texas, I would wake up at 5 in the morning for this. But here? Run of the mill election year hype.

I've met many Arizona national and state-level candidates, including Jim Pederson and Gabrielle Giffords. I've heard Gov. Janet Napolitano speak twice. I've gone to rallies and debates.

In Texas, this kind of involvement would indicate an amazing level of commitment. In Arizona, it's right down the street. In fact, it's difficult to not be involved.

No comments: