Friday, March 18, 2005

Judge not...

Three times today I have found myself in the position of judging someone and then, not minutes later, feeling hypocritical about it. First, I was in line at Albertsons. The self-checkout line. Now, I think these things are cool. But you should really only go through them if you don't have a whole lot of things to ring up. I like to think of them as express lanes. I also think that, if you don't know how to work it, you shouldn't go through it--it just holds everyone up.

Sooo... I was just getting water (mostly in order to get cash back from my debit card for toll money so that I could get to where I was going for research stuff). I had ONE thing. I was stuck behind this guy with a whole basketful of stuff. And he clearly didn't know how to operate the self-checkout. I thought very mean things about him for having problems with the machine. (I was in a hurry.) So, it's my turn. I'm an old pro at this stuff. Well, for some reason, whenever I scan the water and put it in the "bagging area" it says I have too many things in the bagging area. When I remove the water it says, "You have removed an item from the bagging area" and starts beeping at me. I go through several cycles of this. People are lining up behind me (probably thinking the same sorts of things I was thinking about the old man in front of me). It finally works out, but I learn a valuable lesson about patience and hypocrisy. Well, maybe not.

Later on... I'm on the tollway and stuck in a line. The person in front of me obviously can't find any change to throw into the little thingy. Seriously. I waited like a minute. Due to the way I was packed in, I couldn't get out of the line, I could only wait. A minute is a long time--I know it doesn't sound like it, but it really is. So, after thinking not-nice thoughts about the blue car, it's my turn. Now, a smart person would've utilized this time getting ones' money together. But, not me. I get up to the thingy and realize that I only have a dollar bill and I'm in the exact change line. There's nobody in the booth. So, I dig around my car, finally scrounging up the $0.75. But not before the person behind me honked at me. Like, twice.

A few minutes ago... I was reading one of my favorite blogs. I noticed that she hadn't updated in almost a week. "What's the point of having a blog if you're not going to update it?" (I must be coming off as awfully grouchy in this post, I'm not normally... this was just a looooong day.) At that point I realized that it had been even longer since I had updated my own blog.

Thus... out of a sense of hypocrisy and guilt, I present you with this humble, uninteresting post.

No comments: