Monday, March 07, 2005

Student Fees

Well, UT-Dallas is finally earning all those student fees that they make me pay along with my tuition every semester. Err--that my scholarship pays along with my tuition every semester.

This week, I have:

1) set up a meeting with my advisor. I've only ever met with her once. I need to add minors and make sure I'm on track for graduation and ask about how to do my senior honors thesis next semester. Advising fee: $8.00/semester hour. So, $168.00 for this meeting!

2) decided to set up an appointment with a counselor from the Counseling Center to deal with my extreme anxiety issues. Never done this OR visited the campus health center before. That medical services fee: $27.00/semester. Wow, this is cheaper than the advising meeting.

3) went and worked out. sort of. either way, I went to the Activity Center. Which I've done a big once before. Recreation Center fee: $61.00/semester. I don't even think I burned 61 calories!

4) sent a transcript request to the Records Office. Ok, I've done this a few times this semester. They've earned their $18.00/semester fee.

5) checked out like 8 books from the library. I usually don't use the UTD library. One of them I got today was a brand new book, so that makes this particular fee even more pertinant: Library Acquisition Fee--$10.00/semester.

6) sat in the student union for hours and read one of aforementioned books. I rarely use the Student Union. So, for my sitting in the comfy chair in the Comet Lounge, I paid $60.00 this semester.

7) registered with the career center. To look for internships and stuff. This is part of the Student Service Fee, which is $16.60 per semester hour, so $348.60--except that there's a maximum of $149.40. Interesting.

To think, I've been wasting so much money all along. The weird thing is, the time I'm finally using them is spring break. I guess it's 'cause I finally have time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooh--the counseling center is awesome. they're good with whatever's going on, or for just somebody to talk to. they've been lifesavers this past year with all thats been going on.

AH